Setup Activity Monitor on multiple computers with shared Database
Starting from version 10 of Activity Monitor you can easily share the Central Logs Database for viewing by several managers in a company. Main Server machine would download logs from all computers and store them on a local hard drive. Other machines with Activity Monitor would be just used for live monitoring of remote computers and viewing of the database from the Server. Here is how to set this up:
- Install Activity Monitor in Server and Management Console mode on a Server machine:
- Make sure there is lots of space for the database and screenshots. Dedicated SSD or HDD-RAID is recommended for best performance if you have a lot of computers to monitor.
- Set the database path to the above local drive in Activity Monitor Options – Database tab by clicking Manage Database, Select New Database location
- Set to keep logs for a limited time, such as 6 months, for example, to avoid running out of disk space. This can be done on Database tab in Options:
- You can set Activity Monitor password on General tab to have the database file encrypted for the best security. That’s optional, as access to the shared folder is limited for selected users in the next step
- Share the above database folder for Read access for other users (managers) who will need to view logs
- Now from this Activity Monitor Server you can install Agents and change their settings.
SalogSrv background service running on this Server will be downloading logs into Central Logs Database from all computers in the list.
- Install Activity Monitor in “Monitoring Console (limited access)” mode on other managers’ computers, so they can monitor employees from their PC.
- Open Options – Database tab and select the database .salog file on the previously shared drive on the Server by clicking Manage Database, Select New Database location.
The path would looks like this: \\server\database-folder\log_db.salog
- Now you can click Open Central Logs Database to view reports and screenshots from the database located on Server
- You can also connect to any remote computers from here for live monitoring
- Contact our support if you have questions about this setup