Activity Monitor deployment architecture in a small office or an enterprise
Activity Monitor solution for users monitoring can be deployed in a small office of 2-3 computers or in a large corporation with multiple departments, thousands of workers and remote offices. Activity Monitor is a powerful employee monitoring software that supports different network configurations from one to thousands computers connected with either a wired LAN, Wi-Fi or VPN.
- Simple LAN with one admin and several monitored employee computers.
- No server machine is required. This configuration, without a server machine, can only be recommended with up to 50 monitored computers. For more computers SoftActivity recommends installing Activity Monitor Server and other components on a Windows Server machine withing your LAN. Windows Domain with Active Directory or Workgroup configurations are supported.
- Admin can install Activity Monitor Server, Webapp server and Database server on their own computer. It will run in background, download logs from monitored computers and store them into the database.
- Open Activity Monitor Admin Console desktop application to monitor remote computers in live mode or to install and manage Agents. When the admin’s computer is not ON, remote computers will store recorded logs in a local cache.
- Admin can log in to SoftActivity Web Console in a web browser to view usage history logs and reports.
- Agent can be installed on monitored computers remotely from Activity Monitor by an administrator or locally by running Agent installation file.
- Corporate network with one or more departments, multiple supervisors/managers and 50+ monitored workstations. Windows Domain with Active Directory is recommended, but not required by Activity Monitor.
- For this configuration SoftActivity recommends installing Activity Monitor Server, Webapp Server and PostgreSQL Database server on a Windows Server machine. It can be a physical or a virtual machine. It can be located on-premise or in the cloud. For bigger networks with thousands of computers, each of the above components may be scaled to its own dedicated machine. PostgreSQL database can be further upgraded to an enterprise cluster. All data is stored on-premise on a customer’s servers
- Activity Monitor Server runs as a background service on the server, downloads logs from the monitored workstations and places them into the database.
- Admin can open Admin Console desktop application to monitor remote computers in live mode, or to install and manage Agents.
- Admin can create accounts for supervisors in SoftActivity Web Console and assign access only to users in their respective departments.
- A supervisor can login to the Web Console in browser to view usage history logs and reports for monitored users in their department.
- Admin can install Monitoring Console desktop application for supervisors/managers for live monitoring of employee computers.
- Remote employees that travel with a company laptop or working remotely can be monitored via VPN connection.
- Agent can be installed on monitored computers remotely from Activity Monitor by domain administrator or mass-deployed to via Group Policy in Active Directory.
- This can be scaled to multiple physical locations with a separate Activity Monitor Server installed at each site.