June 23rd, 2015
Problem: Remote computers do not appear in the list in Activity Monitor or show up as offline (with red icons) or I can not connect to monitored computers
June 18th, 2015
Starting from version 10 of Activity Monitor you can easily share the Central Logs Database for viewing by several managers in a company. Main Server machine would download logs from all computers and store them on a local hard drive. Other machines with Activity Monitor would be just used for live monitoring of remote computers and viewing of the database from the Server. Here is how to set this up:
October 23rd, 2012
AVG Antivirus 2013 may detect Activity Monitor Agent on the monitored computer as Potentially Unwanted Program(PUP) threat. In fact, there is no virus in Activity Monitor software. It only does what is declared in its features described on the website.
To prevent AVG Antivirus 2013 from detecting this threat you will need to exclude Activity Monitor Agent’s installation folder from scans following instructions below.
Instructions below are only for version 7 or newer of Activity Monitor. Update to the latest version here
Follow the steps below to exclude Activity Monitor Agent folder from the antivirus and then install the monitoring software.
1. Before downloading and installing Activity Monitor Agent disable real-time file protection of the antivirus. For this click on icon of the protection program in the system tray and select Open AVG User Interface command:
Open AVG configuration
August 2nd, 2012
Most antivirus products do not detect any problems with Activity Monitor employee monitoring software. In fact, there is no virus, spyware or malware in Activity Monitor software, as long as the downloaded file is digitally signed by Deep Software Inc. All our executable files are digitally signed by Deep Software Inc. You can check this by opening file’s Properties – Digital Signatures tab.
Activity Monitor product only does what is declared in its features on SoftActivity website, i.e. records employees’ activity on company-owned computers with the owner’s permission. Recordings are encrypted and stored on your company’s computers and not transferred outside of the company’s network. Any recorded information can only be seen by the administrators/supervisors who have access to the data and know the password. SoftActivity does not have any access to the information.
We recommend to add an exclusion in your antivirus to avoid detection and removal of Activity Monitor and Agent with any future updates of your antivirus product. It will then ignore presence of Activity Monitor and allow monitoring of computers in your office network and will not notify users.
We have posted instructions for popular antivirus products in Documentation. If your antivirus is not on the list, follow these general instructions below that apply to any antivirus product
The following instructions apply only since version 7.0 of Activity Monitor. Upgrade to the latest version
To prevent any antivirus product from detecting, reporting to users and/or removing Activity Monitor files you need to exclude the folder where Activity Monitor monitoring console and Agents are installed
Instructions for excluding Activity Monitor monitoring console on manager/administrator’s PC:
- It is recommended to stop real time protection in your antivirus temporarily before downloading and installing Activity Monitor
- Open Exclusions section in Settings in your antivirus product
- Add this folder to exclusions:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftActivity\Activity Monitor” (on 64-bit Windows versions) or
“C:\Program Files\SoftActivity\Activity Monitor” (on 32-bit version of Windows).
- Then download and install Activity Monitor. It should install into the above folder.
- Optionally, you may first install Activity Monitor and after that add destination folder to exclusions. This is especially recommended on non-English versions of Windows, since “Program Files” folder is named differently
Instructions for excluding Agent on remote monitored computers:
- Open Exclusions section in Settings in your antivirus, copy the folder name from here:
and add it to exclusions
- Install Agent locally or remotely as usual. The antivirus should ignore it
- When adding an exclusion, take into account that browsing for folder may not show the folder, since it’s not created until the software has been installed. In this case copy the name of the folder from this article and paste it in your antivirus
- If the antivirus does not allow entering folder name directly (only allows selecting a folder), create the folder in Windows and select it in the antivirus. Or first install the program and then select the folder for exclusion.
- If you use a centralized app for managing the antivirus on all computers in your corporate network, simply use the management app to exclude the folder on all monitored computers before deploying Agent app
- How to check file’s digital signature to verify that the file originates from Deep Software Inc. and has not been tampered with by 3rd parties:
July 2nd, 2012
ESET NOD32 Antivirus may detect Activity Monitor or SoftActivity Keylogger on your computer as Potentially Unwanted Program(PUP) or Win32/Spy.ActivityMonitor.D or Win32/KeyLogger.ActivityMonitor.AG threat. In fact, there is no virus in SoftActivity software. It only does what is declared in its features on this website, i.e. records your employees or children’s computer activity with the computer’s owner permission.
To prevent ESET NOD32 Antivirus from detecting this threat you will need to exclude SoftActivity destination folder or thread name from scans as described below.
June 28th, 2012
Most antivirus products do not detect any problems with SoftActivity Keylogger parental controls software. In fact, there is no virus or spyware in our SoftActivity Keylogger software. It only does what is declared in its features on the website, i.e. records your kids computer activity with your (as a parent) permission. Recordings are encrypted and can only be seen by you. We at SoftActivity do not have any access to the logs.
We recommend to add an exclusion in your antivirus to avoid detection and removal of SoftActivity Keylogger with any future updates of your antivirus product.
We have posted instructions for popular antivirus products here on the right side. If your antivirus is not in the list, follow these general instructions below.
The following instructions apply only for version 6 or newer of SoftActivity Keylogger. Upgrade to the latest version
- To prevent any antivirus product from detecting, reporting or removing SoftActivity Keylogger from your computer, simply exclude C:\Windows\syspkgwk folder from scans in your antivirus
- It is recommended to stop real time protection in your antivirus temporarily before downloading SoftActivity Keylogger
- Then open Exclusions section in Settings in your antivirus, copy the folder name from here: C:\Windows\syspkgwk and add it to exclusions
- Take into account, that browsing for folder will not show it, since it’s not created until the software has been installed. So, you will need to copy the name of the folder and paste it in your antivirus
- If your antivirus does not allow entering folder name directly (only allows selecting a folder), then create the folder in Windows and select it
- After the folder has been added to exclusions, simply download SoftActivity Keylogger and run downloaded file to install it on your computer
- Enable real time protection in the antivirus if you have turned it off
June 8th, 2012
To install SoftActivity Keylogger parental control software on your computer with Vipre Antivirus you need an exclusion in your antivirus.
1. Open Vipre Antivirus, click Manage, Click Always Allowed button:
2. Select “Allow by name only” and enter: sklogger*
3. Select an “Allow an entire folder” and copy the folder name from here: C:\Windows\syspkgwk
4. Make sure that two allowed exclusions have been as below:
5. Download SoftActivity Keylogger and run downloaded file to install it on your computers. Vipre should not detect and block the program